Government budgeting requires more than just accounting. It also entails complex business processes to prepare and approve budgets.
InfoStrat has been using Microsoft Dynamics 365 for government budgeting solutions for over ten years. Dynamics 365 includes several features which enable budget tracking:
- Business process flows which automate approval processes
- Ability to store chart of accounts information
- Integration points for financial management systems to pass transactions and look up information from other systems
- Ability to store multiple versions of budget items
- Data auditing to show who changed what data, and when
- Rollups of financial information according to the budget hierarchy
- Dashboards for graphical representation of financial information
The Grants Manager Plus solution includes a budgeting module for grant managers to establish program budgets. Grant applicants enter their project budgets using Dynamics Portal, and the budgets can be compared to actual expenditures.
Some government agencies already own Dynamics 365 subscriptions for functions such as case management or customer service. Users who own subscriptions can add new apps such as budget management without the need for additional Microsoft subscriptions.