The new interface is quite different from the previous interface which was used from Dynamics CRM 2013 to 2018 with a few incremental changes.
This is the Unified Interface, using a form from InfoStrat's Grants Manager Plus Solution.
Here is the same record shown in the previous interface which Microsoft calls Classic.
- Better menus and navigation. The sitemap on the left is more helpful than the classic menus for larger, more complex solution. Lefthand menu shortcuts are a great use of space and help users access the most popular areas.
- Better subgrids. Subgrids are important for entering rows of data, such as product line items or budgets. Now they are more functional than before, allowing sorting, selecting and custom configurations.
- Better use of space. Space is a precious commodity in a user experience, and the previous interface was not thrifty in using it. Now entity forms seem to have less white space and accommodate more fields and more data. For instance, business process flows take up less vertical space on the form header.
- Reduced learning curve. Users were often puzzled by the layers of menu in the top navigation, especially navigating to related entities. Having menu options that would appear and disappear created training and support challenges, especially for new users.
- Richer dashboards. The unified interface offers enhanced dashboards that are more compact and more closely resemble PowerBI. The graphs seem to scale better in small and large views and the scales are more legible.
|Top Navigation in a Form|
|Left navigation shortcuts|